Skip to main content
Referring back to an older post I made, the little one took quite the tumble last night. When she's tired she's very unstable on her feet, so running while tired is a recipe for disaster. She lost it on the hardwood and landed on her nose. Yes, her nose! It didn't look like anything was broken and she stopped screaming within a few minutes and was more like her normal self.

We took her to hospital out of precaution and they basically agreed that nothing looked broken. It was a really busy night at CHEO but luckily they fast-tracked us up the waiting list. I guess given she's 14 months with a possible broken noise they wanted to see her. The Doctor examined her and answered all our questions. She gave us some good information and was happy to briefly play with Emma for a minute or two while she talked to us. She examined Emma's skull, nose and face in general to make sure nothing was cracked or broken. Clean bill of health! Surprisingly, Emma didn't show any signs of apprehension after the fall while scooting round the living room. We'd learned our lesson and stuck closer to her when she got tired tonight. Especially when I caught her literally running across the room. "You're not meant to do that yet! You're only 14 months old!!" God I love my little angel!

For me, our time in the hospital was more traumatic than the accident. One poor 13 year old boy had hit his head while playing soccer and had no memory of it. Mrs S. said they asked him questions and after a short while he would forget they'd asked him.

Another little boy had broken a bone in his leg and they must have reset it while we waited in the corridor outside. Listening to his screams was somewhat disturbing. All things we'll have to expect and prepare for I guess.

I'm not sure my heart has recovered from the experience. Her fall was mostly my fault; Mrs. S. was on the phone and I had just turned round to get a clean diaper. It broke my heart to hear her scream so and to see the distress she was in. I gave her lots of hugs and kisses and walked around with her in my arms while I examined her nose and face. After a short while she calmed down and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yikes, that sounds like a tough one Mike. Kids do love to run around like madmen and whenever they fall it always looks worse to an adult than it usually is. I guess kids are made of rubber until they get older.

Glad she is OK though. It guess it's nigh on impossible to keep your eye on them all the time and you can guarantee that it's the 5 seconds you look away or are distracted that they will fall. The perils and pains of parenting. I have all this yet to come.
Mike said…
I wish it was 5s - I think I turned around for 2s and *bang*! I don't think she bounced at all, but I'm tempted to wrap her in a layer of foam! :)

Remember the old phrase "This'll hurt me more than it hurts you"? Or something to that effect. As a fairly recent parent, I think it's definitely true!

Popular posts from this blog

I installed the beta of Safari for Windows out of pure curiousity. It's a weird feeling! I wish Apple would release OSX for Intel PCs; I'd blow XP away in an instant. Or at least relegate it to dual boot for games. So far Safari is decent - I'm not seeing the raw performance that some people claim. My main complaint is that CTRL+BACKSPACE doesn't delete the previous word when typing this post. So far all sites I've visited looked good, though very reminiscent of Konqueror, which uses the same KHTML rendering engine. It failed to import my Firefox bookmarks, but I'll try that again. Let's see how it goes!
I just ordered one of these puppies: Guitar Rig 2 @ Tom Lee Music, Vancouver [homer]Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm[/homer] Unfortunately it's on back order so it'll take a few weeks. Hopefully not too many!

Reaper / FruityLoops and music. Metal!

I recently bought an M-Audio USB Fast Track device to connect my electric guitar to my computer. I also bought FruityLoops , or rather my brother bought it for me for Christmas and I upgraded it to the Producer edition. Since then I discovered an amazing shareware product called Reaper , which is another Digital Audio Workstation, or so they call themselves. It's extremely cheap, developed by (I think) the guy who wrote or worked on WinAmp and it's feature list is incredible. This is my first attempt at recording with Reaper: First Guitar Attempt Ignore my dreadful attempts at being a guitar virtuoso and forgive the fact I still live in the 80s! Edit: Here's some more: http://www.mediamax.com/stodge/Hosted/gutiar2-2.mp3 http://www.mediamax.com/stodge/Hosted/guitar4.mp3